Wednesday, April 6, 2011

What a wild and crazy few days it's been in the Takala household. Don't worry, though. Everything with Emily is going just perfectly as far as we know. I was supposed to have my 20 week appointment today, but it was rescheduled for tomorrow. So, in about 24 hours we'll get to see our sweet baby again and see how she's doing!

The craziness actually revolves around Bailey, our sweet and ornery weenie dog. On Saturday, she and her sister were in the backyard playing and I was out there doing homework. All of a sudden I heard a loud yelp and saw Bailey hopping around on three feet. I ran and picked her up and saw that she was bleeding really badly from one of her claws. I wrapped it up and we called the vet, but they couldn't get us in. Since it wasn't a life or death situation, we didn't take her to the emergency clinic. I just bandaged it really good and we carried her around alot. Knowing my sweet weenie, we made sure to take off the bandage when we left for dinner because we knew she would chew it off. What we didn't realize, however, was that she would also chew it off in the middle of the night, laying right next to me. So on Sunday morning when we woke up, the pretty substantial bandage I'd had on her paw was gone. Gone as in somewhere in her intestines. So, of course I worried about that and we debated taking her to the emergency room for that because it could be pretty dangerous if the tape got stuck in her intestines. After talking to my parents and Lucas, we realized that the tape was fabric/paper so it would probably break down in her system rather than getting stuck. But, we had to watch her for about 24 hours to make sure she was still digesting everything okay. Because of that, we had to stay home from church, which was not what we were hoping for.

On Monday we took her to the vet and they ended up having to do surgery to remove the claw. It took her a long time to come out of the anesthesia, but she's been fine ever since. She has a HUGE bandage on her paw, which looks like a club foot. Lucas took her to work yesterday to watch her and make sure she didn't eat her bandage, and I stayed home with her today for the same reason. We could've put the cone around her neck, but I didn't trust her not to strangle herself in an effort to get it off. I hated having to take a day off because I've been saving them for the baby, but in the end, I'm really glad I did. It was such a nice day and I got a ton of stuff done. Plus, I got to spend the day at home with my girls. It was perfect.

Hopefully this weekend will be much less eventful than last weekend!


  1. So glad little Miss Bailey is ok!! Dogs are a great way to prepare for parenting (I suppose!) - one of ours chewed into a bottle of Advil recently and kept us up all night.

  2. Oh my goodness! I don't understand... how did she get hurt in the first place? Did something happen to her claw? Poor Bailey! I'm glad she is okay!