Friday, November 11, 2011

Happy Birthday, Papa!

Today is another one of the most important days of the year in our family.  Not because it's Veteran's Day (although that is important with several veterans in our family,) but because it's my daddy's birthday.  I have the most wonderful dad in the world.  He is kind, hard-working, non-judgemental, reasonable, wise, faithful, committed, giving, focused on others, thoughtful, funny, loving, and a servant.  Actually, he's alot more than that, but I don't want to take up the entire blog entry with adjectives.  :) 

There are many things that I admire about my daddy, but here are just a few.  First of all, he has been a faithful and loving husband to my mother and a devoted father to me and my brother.  In a world where so many kids don't have good examples of what a husband and father should be, my dad is absolutely amazing.  He has always provided us with everything we needed and almost everything we wanted. ;-)  He would do anything for us and is constantly helping us with things that we need because he can do pretty much anything.  He's a handyman and a gardener, which means he can fix anything inside or outside of the house and make it not only function, but look beautiful as well.  Because he can do anything, people are always needing his help and he is always willing.  He is also a wonderful son and son-in-law, serving, loving, and respecting his parents and in-laws and never complaining about it.  He has served as an elder in our church since I was 15 years old, which is exactly half of my life.  How many other kids can say that about their dads?  He has devoted a huge part of his life to the church and has dealt with many difficulties with grace and a Christ-like attitude.  Where many would have given up and quit, he has been completely committed.  He has given countless hours serving the Lord and the people of his church.  Even before he became an elder, he served as a deacon and spent many hours taking care of the church grounds, running sound, and tons of other things.  My daddy has worked at the same company for 37 years, which is something that very few people can boast.  He is a valuable asset to his company and he is a faithful employee, which says alot about him.  He was committed enough to his children's education to pay for our college at a Christian university, something that has been a huge sacrifice on his part and something for which I will be forever grateful.  If there was one thing I could say to sum up my daddy, it is servant.  I believe this is one of the greatest things you can be, as it is a fulfillment of the greatest commandment, loving the Lord with all of his heart and loving others as himself. 

I have been so blessed these last few months to see him as he has become a grandfather.  This has been one of the greatest joys I have known since Emily was born.  My daddy was and is a wonderful daddy but is already an even greater grandfather.  He loves his little girl so much and she loves him, too!  He can always calm her down and loves making her laugh.  Daddy and Papa, we love you so much and we are more appreciative of you than you will ever know.  It is a blessing to be your daughter, son-in-law, and granddaughter!

Meeting Emily for the first time

In love!

Bringing us home from the hospital

Visiting Papa at work

Snuggling with his girl

Papa can always make Emily smile!

Happy Birthday, Papa!

No comments:

Post a Comment