Friday, April 27, 2012

Emily's First Sickness

Before we realized that she was really sick!
As you probably saw in the Easter post, Emily came down with a little sickness a couple of weeks ago.  We noticed the night before Easter that she seemed a bit warm, so we took her temp and it was 100.8.  We just attributed it to teething because her top two were working their way in.  The next morning we were off our normal schedule due to worship team, so she didn't get her nap.  She did, however, lay in her carrier the entire time we were rehearsing, which is totally not normal for her.  She is a girl on the go!  She was fussy in the nursery and felt very warm when I picked her up.  Again, I just thought it was due to teeth and also snuggling with one of the ladies in the nursery.  During lunch at my aunt and uncle's house, I could tell she was not feeling good at all.  She felt really warm, but for some reason, I didn't take her temp.  I just gave her some Tylenol and held her while she slept on my chest.  When we got home, we put her down for a nap, and she seemed okay, although definitely not her normal self.

I was off school the next day, so we had a whole day to be together.  She seemed pretty happy, but when she woke up from her afternoon nap, she felt extremely warm, so I took her temp and it was 103.8.  She didn't have any symptoms, but since it was the first time for a high fever, we called the doctor, who told us to bring her in the next morning.  When we got to the doctor's office on Tuesday, she was acting completely normal and had no fever at all.  Of course.  The doctor could find nothing wrong and told us that it was most likely a fever virus.  That night it spiked again and again the next day, as well.  I was so torn between taking her back to the doctor for blood tests and just waiting it out a bit longer.  On Wednesday afternoon, I talked to our wonderful Chiropractor and we decided to bring her in for an adjustment and wait one more night before taking her back to the doctor for further testing.  We took her in around 5:00 to be adjusted and headed back home.  As we were getting ready to put her to bed, Lucas prayed that God would cool our little girl down.  Not ten minutes later, her fever broke! 

Keeping our little girl comfortable
The next morning, her symptoms began and she got very snotty and began coughing quite a bit whenever she was laying down.  We raised one end of her crib, ran the humidifier, and sucked aLOT of snot out of her nose. She stayed home with us the rest of the week just to make sure she was totally well.  By Monday, she was mostly back to normal and we were able to take her back to Mrs. Leslie.

Although I hated to see my little girl miserable and it was difficult for both of us, it was so nice to be able to be there with her and snuggle with her when she needed me.  I am so thankful and aware of how blessed we are to have such a healthy baby.  I thank God every day for the blessing of Emily and for her good health!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry baby girl got sick. I can't remember if I've already told you HOW MUCH I LOVE her name! She is beautiful and you are a beautiful momma.

    ReplyDelete